The status bar in AutoCAD is one of those areas in the application window that not everyone understand but yet everyone uses, and might not get the most out of it. For example, did you know it can be customized to hide infrequently used tools and display those tools you might use more frequently?
By default, the status bar is displayed along the bottom of the application window. From the status bar, you can quickly access:
- Commonly used drafting aids
- Settings related to the active viewport
- See the current coordinate value of the crosshairs in the drawing window
You can also control contextual tools like system variable monitoring, external references, CAD standards, and more.
How to use it
- If the status bar isn’t currently displayed, enter STATUSBAR on the command line and enter 1.
- Some controls are toggles, meaning a single click turns the functionality on or off. Toggle the following tools on and off:
- Grid display
- Ortho mode
- Object snap tracking
- Click on the arrow, or right-click anywhere on the Object Snap icon, to display the associated menu.
- Check or clear individual object snap settings.
- Click Object Snap Settings to open the Object Snap tab of the Drafting Settings dialog box.
- For tools that have option settings, right-click and select the menu option to display the settings dialog box for the tool. For example:
- Right-click Grid Display and select Grid Settings to set the grid and snap spacing.
- Right-click Object Snap Tracking and select the settings option to set object snap tracking settings.
- Hover over a tool and press F1 to open the Help topic for that tool. For example:
- Hover over Ortho mode and press F1.
- Hover over Workspace Switching and press F1.
Select which tools you want to display on the status bar and which ones you want to hide.
- Click Customization located at the far-right end of the status bar.
- Select tools you want to show or hide. For example:
- Check LineWeight to display it.
- Clear Dynamic Input to hide it.
Coordinate display on the status bar
You can also display the cursor coordinates on the status bar. By default, coordinate display is off.
- Click Customization.
- Check Coordinates.
- Right-click the Coordinates tool to display the menu of options.Note: Press F1 to see an explanation of the options.
If you prefer to use the keyboard, some of the function keys perform the same toggle action as controls on the status bar.
|Key||Status Bar Icon||Feature||Description|
|F3||Object snap||Turns object snap on and off.|
|F4||3D object snap||Turns additional object snaps for 3D on and off.|
|F7||Grid display||Turns the grid display on and off.|
|F8||Ortho||Locks cursor movement to horizontal or vertical.|
|F9||Grid snap||Restricts cursor movement to specified grid intervals.|
|F10||Polar tracking||Guides cursor movement to specified angles.|
|F11||Object snap tracking||Tracks the cursor horizontally and vertically from object snap locations.|